The stomach is a J-shaped organ located in the upper abdomen, which plays a vital role in the digestion of food. Different types of cells that create mucus and digest enzymes are found in the mucosa, the innermost layer of the stomach. Stomach cancer typically begins in the cells lining the mucosa and can spread to other parts of the stomach or nearby organs. Visit the best stomach surgeon in Dubai to learn more about stomach cancer.
Gastric cancer, a malignant tumour that forms in the cells of the stomach lining, is another name for stomach cancer. It is a serious and relatively common form of cancer with significant implications for a person’s health and well-being. Stomach cancer often progresses slowly over many years, and early detection and treatment are crucial for improving outcomes.
Cancers that form in the different parts of the stomach tend to show different symptoms and different outcomes. The location of the cancer does affect the treatment options but treatments do need a serious concern and one should immediately see the best stomach surgeon Dubai to get relief.
As the Stomach is an important organ in the body and the development of cancer in it can actually cause painful lethal outcomes, one needs to take it seriously and consult a doctor. Types of stomach cancers –
• A gastrointestinal stromal tumour (gist)
• Carcinoid tumor,
and other cancers such as squamous cell carcinoma, small cell carcinoma, and leiomyosarcoma.
Cancer Care Specialities Center at Neuro Spinal Hospital has a team of board-certified best stomach surgeons Dubai who have decades of experience in carrying out minimally invasive surgeries for stomach cancer. Surgeries are done to remove cancer and part or all of the stomach and some nearby lymph nodes, depending on the type and stage of stomach cancer.
The symptoms of stomach cancer can vary depending on the stage of the disease and its location within the stomach. Stomach cancer may not exhibit any signs in its early stages. However, according to the best stomach surgeon Dubai, as cancer spreads, the following signs and symptoms could appear:
1. Abdominal pain or discomfort: Persistent pain or discomfort in the upper abdomen is a common symptom of stomach cancer. The pain may be vague or dull initially and can worsen over time.
2. Unexplained weight loss: Significant and unexplained weight loss, without any changes in diet or physical activity, is a common symptom of many types of cancer, including stomach cancer.
3. Nausea and vomiting: Persistent nausea and vomiting, which may contain blood, can result from stomach cancer. This symptom can be more common in the advanced stages of the disease.
4. Difficulty swallowing: Stomach cancer can cause narrowing of the esophagus or obstruction at the stomach’s entrance, leading to difficulty or pain while swallowing (dysphagia).
5. Fatigue and weakness: Ongoing fatigue, weakness, and a general feeling of tiredness can be symptoms of stomach cancer. These symptoms are often non-specific but can accompany the disease.
6. Blood in the stool: Stomach cancer may cause digestive tract bleeding, leading to stool blood. It can appear as black, tarry stools (melena) or stools with visible red blood.
7. Anaemia: Chronic bleeding from the stomach can result in anaemia, characterized by a low red blood cell count. Anaemia can lead to fatigue, weakness, and pale skin.
It is unclear how exactly stomach cancer develops. However, several factors have been identified that can increase the risk of developing this disease. These factors include:
1. Helicobacter pylori infection: According to the best stomach surgeon Dubai, chronic infection with Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) is one of the most significant risk factors for stomach cancer. H. pylori is commonly found in the stomach and can cause chronic inflammation and damage to the stomach lining, increasing the risk of cancer development over time.
2. Chronic gastritis: Long-term stomach lining inflammation, known as chronic gastritis, can increase the risk of stomach cancer. Gastritis can result from H. pylori infection or other factors such as long-term use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), excessive alcohol consumption, or autoimmune diseases.
3. Genetic factors: Some genetic factors can increase the risk of developing stomach cancer. People with a family history of stomach cancer are more likely to develop the disease themselves, suggesting a genetic predisposition.
4. Pernicious anaemia: Pernicious anemia is a condition characterized by the inability to absorb vitamin B12, leading to low levels of this essential nutrient. Pernicious anaemia has been associated with an increased risk of stomach cancer.
5. Dietary factors: A higher risk of stomach cancer has been associated with specific dietary practices and food preferences. These include a diet high in smoked, salted, or pickled foods and a diet low in fruits and vegetables. Consumption of processed meats and foods high in nitrates or nitrites may also increase the risk.
6. Tobacco and alcohol use: Smoking tobacco and excessive alcohol consumption have been identified as risk factors for stomach cancer. Both habits can irritate and damage the stomach lining, increasing the likelihood of cancer development.
Apart from the causes, there are some key risk factors associated with stomach cancer:
The best stomach surgeon in Dubai recommends these tips and tricks to prevent stomach cancer.
The diagnosis of stomach cancer typically involves several steps and may require the expertise of various healthcare professionals. You can visit Cancer Care Specialities, Dubai’s best cancer care center, to learn more about stomach cancer. Here are the key components of diagnosing stomach cancer:
1. Physical examination and Medical history: Your doctor will start by getting a thorough medical history, including any symptoms you might have. They will also do a physical examination to look for any anomalies or symptoms of stomach cancer.
2. Imaging tests: Imaging tests can help visualize the stomach and identify any suspicious areas that may indicate the presence of cancer.
3. Biopsy: A biopsy is a crucial step in confirming the presence of cancer. During an endoscopy, your doctor can take small tissue samples (biopsies) from suspicious stomach areas. The pathologist examines these samples under a microscope in a lab setting to see if any cancer cells are present.
4. Staging: Once a diagnosis of stomach cancer is confirmed, further tests may be conducted to determine the cancer stage. Staging helps determine the extent of the cancer’s spread and guides treatment decisions. Staging may involve additional imaging tests, such as CT scans, PET scans, or laparoscopy, and examination of lymph nodes and other tissues.
As stomach cancer often grows gradually over the years and once detected needs an immediate remedy, one should get treatment from the Best stomach surgeon in Dubai to get seamless and effective remedial results. Different types of surgeries are conducted to treat stomach cancer. Some of them are:
ENDOSCOPIC RESECTION – Also known as endoscopic mucosal resection and endoscopic submucosal resection, the surgery is conducted to treat some very early-stage cancers. This is because the chances of spreading to the lymph nodes are very less.
In this type of surgery, the surgeon passes an endoscope down the throat into the stomach. Surgical tools are also passed through the endoscope to remove the tumour and part of the normal stomach wall around it.
SUBTOTAL GASTRECTOMY – This surgery is conducted if cancer has developed in the lower part of the stomach. In this type of surgery, only part of the stomach is removed, sometimes a part of the esophagus or the first part of the small intestine is also removed.
The residual section of the stomach is then reattached. Eating after the surgery is easy as only part of the stomach is removed instead of the complete stomach. As this surgery needs a mere manipulation of stomach organs due to the involvement of removal; it should be performed by the Best stomach surgeon Dubai.
TOTAL GASTRECTOMY – Total gastrectomy surgery is conducted if cancer has spread all throughout the stomach. The best stomach surgeon Dubai while conducting this surgery removes the entire stomach, omentum, and nearby lymph nodes and sometimes might also remove the spleen and parts of the esophagus, intestines, pancreas, and other nearby organs. Most total gastrectomy surgeries are done after making a larger incision in the skin.
LYMPH NODE REMOVAL – In partial or total gastrectomy, the nearby lymph nodes are removed, which is the most important part of the operation procedure. At Cancer Care Specialties, there is a team of the best stomach surgeon Dubai, who have years of experience in stomach surgery and carry out this procedure to remove lymph nodes.
If you happen to visit UAE to get your stomach cancer surgery done, look no further than Neuro Spinal Hospital. As a comprehensive center for stomach cancer, at Cancer Care Specialties, we have the best stomach surgeon Dubai who transforms the care and treatment received by every patient. We customize our approach as per the needs and requirements of the individual patient.
The Neuro Spinal Cancer care center has the best gastroenterologist hospital in Dubai and is one of the greatest helping medical facilities. This center has various departments and one among them is stomach cancer treatment. Our years of experience in the UAE have recognized us as the most trusted cancer treatment center.
From all over the globe, we have the best gastroenterologist Dubai on board. Our onboard team of surgeons has a skillful, dedicated, and completely managed team of the Best stomach surgeon Dubai that can deliver the best solutions to your problems and can make you fine with no hustle at all.
Stomach surgeons can treat a wide range of conditions, including stomach ulcers, acid reflux, gastric cancer, hernias, gallbladder disease, and more.
A qualified stomach surgeon should have completed a medical degree, residency training in general surgery, and specialized training in stomach surgery. They should also be licensed to practice in Dubai and have a good reputation in the medical community.
Recovery time after stomach surgery can vary depending on the type of surgery and individual factors. In general, patients can expect to stay in the hospital for a few days and may need several weeks to fully recover.
There are several highly qualified and experienced stomach surgeons in Dubai. It is best to consult with our Neuro Spinal hospital to find a surgeon who specializes in your specific condition and has a good reputation.
Like any surgery, stomach surgery carries some risks, including bleeding, infection, blood clots, and reactions to anesthesia. Your surgeon will discuss the risks and benefits of the procedure with you beforehand.